Samsung to launch Galaxy S8 in India on April 19: Key facts to know

Samsung revealed Bixby, a smart voice assistant to rival Apple’s Siri at the US event.

1490863383-731

Almost three weeks after its initial launch in the US, South Korean giant Samsung will launch its flagship device Samsung Galaxy S8 in India on April 19.

Samsung launched S8 and S8 Plus on March 29 in the US. The devices come in two variants with different screen sizes — the 5.8-inch Galaxy S8 and 6.2-inch Galaxy S8 Plus.

On Monday, the company said in an invitation: “Samsung India cordially invites you to the launch of its next Galaxy series”.

Also Read : Update details to link PAN and Aadhaar, mismatch leads to failure

Samsung revealed Bixby, a smart voice assistant to rival Apple’s Siri and Google’s Assistant at the US event.

The device has a bezel-less curved edge “infinity display” covered with pristine glass and a 12MP rear camera with multi-frame processing and optical image stabilisation. It has an 8MP auto-focus front shooter.

The device is IP68 rated, meaning it is water and dust resistant. The company has also upped the security feature with iris scanner, face recognition and fingerprint scanner – moved to the back of the device – to unlock the device.

The home button has been shifted beneath the “infinity display”. (readmore)

Advertisements

Singapore Air bans use of Samsung Galaxy Note 7

Singapore Air bans use of Samsung Galaxy Note 7

1473430998-6137

Singapore Airlines (SIA) on Saturday said that it has joined other airlines in banning the inflight use of Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 phones after reports of exploding batteries in some units.

“The powering up and charging of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 mobile phones is prohibited on all our flights,” SIA said in a statement.

Australia’s Qantas and Virgin Australia and Abu Dhabi-based Etihad have also announced similar bans.

US and Japanese aviation authorities have urged passengers not to turn on or charge the large-screen phones on aircraft.

The South Korean smartphone maker last week suspended sales of the phablet and recalled 2.5 million units.

The US Federal Aviation Administration has also told passengers not to stow the devices in checked baggage.

VW emissions scandal: South Korea issues arrest warrant against company executive

VW emissions scandal: South Korea issues arrest warrant against company executive

1444304638-1241

A South Korean court on Friday issued the first warrant for the arrest of a Volkswagen AG executive in connection with its cheating of vehicle emissions tests, in another blow to the German automaker’s efforts to move on from the scandal.

The warrant is the first to be levelled against a Volkswagen executive anywhere in the world after the firm in September admitted to using software to falsify pollution tests on some diesel cars, spurring legal action in the United States, Germany, South Korea and elsewhere.

“This is just the beginning of the investigation,” an official at the prosecution office said, declining to be named because the investigation was ongoing.

The Volkswagen Korea executive, identified by his last name Yun, faced five accusations including fabrication of documents and violation of the Air Quality Preservation Law, Seoul Central District Court spokesman Shin Jae-hwan said.

“The court acknowledges the reason and the necessity of the arrest,” he told Reuters, declining to give further details or name the executive.

A Volkswagen Korea spokeswoman declined to comment.

South Korea has taken a particularly hard line against the automaker, filing a criminal complaint against two other executives, fining it 14.1 billion won ($11.97 million) and ordering it to recall 125,522 vehicles.

About 4,400 Korean consumers also have filed a class action lawsuit against Volkswagen and sister marque Audi demanding compensation over the false emissions claims.

Sources in the United States on Thursday said Volkswagen would pay more than $10 billion to settle claims by nearly 500,000 owners and fund efforts to offset pollution.

The South Korean arrest warrant comes after German prosecutors on Monday said they were investigating former Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn and another executive over whether they effectively manipulated markets by delaying the release of information about the test cheating.

South Korean prosecutors would cooperate with their counterparts in Germany and the United States, the official said in Seoul.

The scandal has triggered a slide in Volkswagen’s share of Asia’s No.2 diesel car market, where it competes with dominant domestic players Hyundai Motor and Kia Motors.

Volkswagen said in April it would set aside 16.2 billion euros ($18.2 billion) and slash its dividend to cover the costs from the scandal. Read More