Sushma Swaraj sought a report from the Uttar Pradesh government on the assault
One of the two Swiss tourists attacked and badly injured near Agra five days ago was discharged from Delhi’s Apollo Hospital on Thursday even as five people, including three minors, were taken into custody for the crime. Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, who visited Agra, promised better security for tourists.
Sushma seeks report
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said while Marie Droz had been discharged from the hospital, her male friend Quentin Jeremy Clerc’s condition was improving. The Swiss embassy in New Delhi confirmed the October 22 attack and said it was providing them consular services.
The ugly attack took place when the young couple was walking alongside a train track innear Agra. Clerc was left with a fractured skull and several bruises.
Senior Superintendent of Police Agra, Amit Pathak, said late on Thursday evening that five persons, including three minors, have been taken into custody for the crime.
Also Read :
Sushma Swaraj sought a report from the Uttar Pradesh government on the assault. Minister of State for Tourism KJ Alphons expressed deep concern.
“You would kindly appreciate that such incidents negatively impact our image and are detrimental to our efforts in promoting India as a tourism destination,” Alphons told the Chief Minister in a letter.
He said a “fast and speedy response in identifying and ensuring speedy action including conviction of the guilty would be reassuring” and would send a “good message of our efforts to prevent recurrence of such incidents”.