Why NDA chose Bihar Governor Kovind, a Dalit leader, as President nominee

Kovind’s name was a surprise to those who wanted somebody with a Hindutva image to be the candidate

1497867216-0733

Politics News : Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind, a Dalit leader of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), will be the presidential candidate of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), and in all likelihood the next President of India.

The BJP Parliamentary Board decided Kovind’s candidature at its meeting on Monday. Kovind is widely respected among political circles for his integrity and people remember his family to have led an abstemious lifestyle during his political career, including when he was a Rajya Sabha member from 1994 to 2006.

The BJP-led NDA has 48.6 per cent votes in the electoral college and has been promised support from regional parties like the Telangana Rashtra Samiti, YSR Congress Party, and All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam.

Also Read : Why NDA chose Bihar Governor Kovind, a Dalit leader, as President nominee

BJP chief Amit Shah said his party has informed Opposition parties, including the Congress, about its decision. He said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi has spoken with Congress president Sonia Gandhi and former prime minister Manmohan Singh regarding the matter too. Shah expressed hope that other parties will support the NDA candidate. Kovind’s name was a surprise to most, including those within the BJP and the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) who had been insisting that somebody with a Hindutva image be the NDA candidate. In the choice of Kovind, Modi and Shah seem to have outmanoeuvred not just the Opposition but also convinced the RSS leadership.

Given the political symbolism, several in the Opposition might find it difficult to oppose Kovind’s candidature. While the Left parties are set to field their own candidate as they consider this an ideological fight with the Sangh Parivar, many others like the Janata Dal (United) and Bahujan Samaj Party might not find it politically sagacious to oppose Kovind. Both parties have a significant Dalit support base. Other parties were yet to make their position public at the time of filing of this report. It would be very difficult even for the Congress to oppose his candidature.

The BJP’s choice of Kovind comes at a time when Dalit groups have protested in Uttar Pradesh against the Yogi Adityanath government and raised their voice about the increasing atrocities against Dalits by upper castes and cow vigilantes. Selecting Kovind should help the BJP’s efforts at consolidating its Dalit support base in the run up to the 2019 Lok Sabha polls. Kovind would become the second Dalit President of India, after KR Narayanan who served as the President from 1997 to 2002.

Shah said that Kovind will file his nomination on June 23. Kovind is a two-term Rajya Sabha member. His terms were from 1994 to 2000 and 2000 to 2006. Kovind is a lawyer by profession and he hails from the Kanpur rural district. “He is from the Dalit community and from humble beginnings he has struggled to reach a high office,” Shah said. He said the NDA is yet to decide upon its vice-presidential candidate.

Who is Ram Nath Kovind

China opens South China Sea website

China opens South China Sea website

1464335039-9233

China on Wednesday opened a website on the South China Sea, complete with historical maps, articles and research, according to the State Oceanic Administration (SOA).

Run by the National Marine Data & Information Service, the Chinese language site has 10 sections that cover basic information, news, historical archives, development and management, expert opinion, law and regulations, a timeline of major events, pictures and videos and Q&A.

“The South China Sea has drawn huge attention, but some information online is not accurate,” Xinhua news agency quoted Zhang Haiwen, SOA official in charge of international cooperation, as saying.

“We hope that this website will enable domestic and overseas people to better understand it and learn about the truth behind the ‘dispute’ over it.”

The website has now six domain names, including 中国南海网 and 中国南海网, due to “information unification and security concerns”. according to the SOA.

Amit Shah not to be next Gujarat CM: BJP

Amit Shah not to be next Gujarat CM: BJP

1464342241-7855730

The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Wednesday cleared the air on party president Amit Shah being appointed as the next Chief Minister of Gujarat after Anandiben Patel offered to resign from the post on Monday.

It was also announced that the next chief minister would be from the existing party MLAs inGujarat.

“There is no such consultation going on in the party. He (Amit Shah) is party’s national president and under his leadership the party has reached great heights. The party needs his leadership. The CM will be from the existing legislators”, said Urban Development Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu after the BJP’s parliamentary board meeting.

He, however informed that Shah would be present in the meeting of legislature party to be held in Gujarat on Thursday to decide the next chief minister.

“He will chair the meeting of state legislature party and hold consultation with the stakeholders to decide on the next chief minister of Gujarat,” Naidu told reporters here.

Former BJP president Nitin Gadkari and national general secretary Saroj Pandey would also be present in the meeting as central observers.

Calling Anandiben Patel an “inspiration” for many across the country, Naidu said that she headed the government in “satisfactory” manner.

Email fallout: 3 Democratic National Committee executives resign

Email fallout: 3 Democratic National Committee executives resign

1469767054-9389

The chief executive of the Democratic National Committee and two other top officials have resigned in the wake of an email hack that embarrassed the party on the eve of its presidential nominating convention.

CEO Amy Dacey, chief finance officer Brad Marshall and communications director Luis Miranda left their jobs today, the party said in a statement.

The resignations are the latest fallout from the hacked emails, which exposed an apparent lack of neutrality in the primary race between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders, with some party officials disparaging Sanders.

Marshall wrote the most explosive email, questioning Sanders’ Jewish faith and suggesting he could be portrayed as an atheist. He has apologized for the missive.

Earlier, party chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz resigned her position and, after being booed at a pre-convention appearance last week in Philadelphia, chose not to speak from the convention stage.(more)

Republican leaders denounce Clinton in Cleveland convention

Republican leaders denounce Clinton in Cleveland convention

Paul Ryan

Top Republican leadership on Wednesday held a mock criminal-style trial before the American public against Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, saying she is not fit to be an occupant of the White House and the safety and security of the country cannot be left on her.

Soon after Donald Trump was declared the presidential nominee of the Republican party, speakers after speakers of the Republican party went after Clinton with New Jersey Governor Chris Christie turned the audience into an ad hock jury by asking if the 68-year-old former secretary of State was guilty or not guilty.

After every charge-sheet, the cheering crowd pronounced her “guilty” shouting “lock her up”.

“I am proud to say that the voice of the people of our nation is being heard in this hall and those voices want Donald Trump to be the next President of the United States. But this election is not just about Donald Trump. It is also about his Democratic opponent, Hillary Rodham Clinton,” Christie said.

“We know exactly what four years of Hillary Clinton will bring: all the failures of the Obama years, but with less charm and more lies. It is our obligation to stop Hillary Clinton now and never let her within 10 miles of the White House again,” he said.(Read more)

Trending Now

Humanity beats curfew in Kashmir as locals rush to help Amarnath bus accident victims

1468332948-3119

One more youth was killed on Wednesday in a clash between a stone-pelting mob and security forces in Kashmir, taking the toll in the five-day unrest to 35, even as Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti expressed “great sadness and sorrow” over the deaths and promised a “healing touch”.

Zakir Naik cancels conference for third time

1467861947-2186

Controversial Mumbai-based Islamic preacher Zakir Naik has cancelled his media interaction on Thursday for the third time.

“It is very difficult to do a press conference. We will announce another conference soon. Naik himself is willing to come and share information with people,” official spokesperson of Naik’s Islamic Research Foundation (IRF) told on Thursday.

South China Sea ruling must be respected: Philippines

1468400991-2736

The ruling by the Hague’s Permanent Court of Arbitration(PCA) in favour of Manila over itsSouth China Sea dispute with China must be respected, an official statement by the Philippines said.

The statement also outlined the issues Foreign Secretary Perfecto Yasay is set to discuss during the upcoming Asia-Europe meeting (ASEM) on Friday and Saturday in Mongolia, EFE newsreported.

Read More : Latest News

Trump seeks $10 million from former aide in disclosure case

Trump seeks $10 million from former aide in disclosure case

Donald Trump

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is seeking $10 million in damages from a former senior campaign consultant, Sam Nunberg, alleging that Nunberg leaked confidential information to reporters in violation of a nondisclosure agreement.

In a court filing obtained by The Associated Press, Nunberg accuses Trump of trying to silence him “in a misguided attempt to cover up media coverage of an apparent affair” between senior campaign staffers.

The document cited a New York Post story about a public quarrel between the staffers published last month.

The legal dispute reflects Trump’s efforts to aggressively protect the secrecy of his campaign’s inner workings.

The case is spelled out in court documents that sought to block private arbitration proceedings that Trump initiated in May. Read More