Sunrisers Hyderabad beat Royal Challengers to win IPL 2016

IPL2016 final between SH/RCB

Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) lost out to Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) by eight runs in a dramatic final of the Indian Premier League (IPL 2016) Season Nine on Sunday at the Chinnaswami Stadium.

Requiring 209 runs in 20 overs with an asking rate of 12.54, Royal Challengers could only manage 200/7, though it got off to a flying start helped by a pounding Chris Gayle and a stable Virat Kohli.

Chris Gayle spearheaded the chase for Royal Challengers Bangalore with a superb 38-ball-76. Dominating with the bat, he rarely gave chance to Kohli, so much so that he accounted for 74 of the first 100 runs score by RCB by the end of nine overs.

Smashing eight sixes and four fours, Gayle looked like interested in only hitting sixes as long as he was on the crease.

The capacity crowd in Chinnaswami Stadium was on the edge of the seat as long as Gayle was firing one six after the other, he looked unstoppable.

However, the Gayle show got over to a top edge catch held by Bipul Sharma off Ben Cutting.

Everything looked fine as Kohli was on strike to be followed by other reliable batsmen.

But that was not to be, Kohli also departed soon after Gayle, castled by Barinder Sran, he scored a 35-ball-54, with two sixes and four fours. But what followed later was an utter disappointment and heartbreak for the Royal Challengers. (Read More

Congress questions the ‘achievements’ of two years of Modi govt

On a day when the Bharatiya Janata party-led government completed two years in office, the Congress party questioned the various celebrations, alleging the record was only of “empty talk and hollow promises”.

Dubbing the Narendra Modi government “fraudulently dynamic and dynamically fraudulent”, it fielded senior spokesperson in both Delhi and across state capitals to counter the “government propaganda”.

Unveiling its ‘Do saal desh ka bura haal’ (two years of dire national straits) campaign, party leader Ghulam Nabi Azad said, “The government is surviving because of newspapers and television channels and its media publicity. It has nothing to show by way of work except bombast.”

Former Union minister and party spokesperson Kapil Sibal challenged the PM or anyone in the government to a Congress leaders Mallikarjun Kharge, Ghulam Nabi Azad, Kapil Sibal and Randeep Surjewala during a press conference on completion of two years by Modi government, at party headquarters in New Delhi

public debate on what it had achieved. Contrasting the predecessor government, led by its Manmohan Singh, he said: “Dr Singh did not speak; his work spoke. This prime minister does nothing but speak. He has nothing to show in terms of work.”Read more.

Swachh Bharat, Digital India score poorly, top rating for Railways

The National Democratic Alliance government under Prime Minister Narendra Modi has kicked off a two-part survey where the people will rate its policies and initiatives as it completes two years in office. Thousands have already joined in to answer the 30 questions covering anything from foreign policy to signature schemes such as Swachh Bharat, Digital India and Make In India, hosted on the citizen engagement platform mygov,in.

While Make in India, ease of doing business and controlling corruption figure somewhere in the middle of the ratings, other schemes such as Swachh Bharat, Digital India and unearthing black money have scored the least.

Initial data captured on the portal will make Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu happy. More than 74 per cent of the people who have participated in the survey so far have given 5 stars to the government effort in modernising Indian Railways, taking it to the top position out of a total of 15 schemes. Only 1.04 per cent of the people have given it 1 star. Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari is next with 65.8 per cent people giving 5 stars to government efforts in providing highway connectivity. It is the only sector where nobody has given it the lowest grade of 1.

The NDA’s foreign policy has scored high as well with 63.21 per cent giving the initiative 5 stars. It got 1 star from 3.63 per cent of the respondents. The PM himself has mostly been at the forefront of the foreign policy initiatives, though Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj is also seen having contributed to the overall effort. To read complete article

Microsoft to see 1,850 jobs cuts at struggling smartphone unit

Microsoft announced more big cuts to its smartphone business on Wednesday, just two years after it bought handset maker Nokia in an ill-fated attempt to take on market leaders Apple Inc and Samsung Electronics.

In a move that clearly puts the stamp of two-year chief executive Satya Nadella on the US company, Microsoft said it would shed up to 1,850 jobs, most of them in Finland, and write down $950 million from the business. It did not say how many employees currently work on smartphones in the group as a whole.

Shares of Microsoft were trading around $52 late Wednesday, roughly flat with their $51.59 close Tuesday, but significantly up from $34.20 when Nadella became CEO in February 2014.

Remaking Microsoft, known primarily for its software, into a more device-focused company was a hallmark of previous chief executive Steve Ballmer.

In one of his last major acts, Ballmer closed a deal to buy Nokia’s struggling but once-dominant handset business for about $7.2 billion in late 2013. The deal closed in April 2014, two months after Nadella became CEO.

Since then, Nadella has shaved away at the phone business, starting with a 2015 restructuring that put the devices group, previously a stand-alone unit under former Nokia chief Stephen Elop, under the Windows group. Run by Terry Myerson, the Windows division is the company’s biggest.

A Finnish union representative told Reuters the cuts would essentially put an end to Microsoft’s development of new phones.

“My understanding is that Windows 10 will go on as an operating system, but there will be no morephones made by Microsoft,” said Kalle Kiili, a shop steward.

Microsoft said in a statement it would continue to develop the Windows 10 platform and support its Lumia smartphones, but gave no comment on whether it would develop new Windows phones.

Global market share of Windows smartphones fell below 1% in the first quarter of 2016, according to research firm Gartner.

Last year, Microsoft announced $7.5 billion of write-downs and 7,800 job cuts in its phone business.

Earlier this month, Microsoft sold its entry-level feature phones business for $350 million.

The company said on Wednesday it expected to cut all 1,350 jobs at its Finnish mobile phone unit and close down a research and development site in the country. A further 500 jobs will go in other countries, it said, without giving details.

“We are focusing our phone efforts where we have differentiation,” Nadella said in a statement.

“We will continue to innovate across devices and on our cloud services across all mobile platforms.”

Nokia dominated around 40% of the world’s mobile phone industry in 2008 before it was eclipsed by the rise of touch-screen smartphones.

As a result, Nokia and Microsoft have slashed thousands of Finnish jobs over the past decade, and the lack of substitute jobs is the main reason for the country’s current economic stagnation.

Nokia, now focused on telecom network equipment, just last week said it was cutting around 1,000 jobs in Finland following its acquisition of Franco-American rival Alcatel-Lucent .

The Microsoft phone business still has a dedicated fan in Ballmer, who bragged about his device at a San Francisco dinner hosted by Fortune in March.

“It’s a Windows phone,” he said as the audience laughed. “Why wouldn’t it be?”(Read More)

Two-day G7 summit starts in Japan

A two-day Group of Seven (G7) summit started at Ise-Shima in Japan on Thursday.

The meeting is being attended by G7 country heads – US President Barack Obama, French President Francois Hollande, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, public broadcaster NHK reported.

Abe is chairing the summit.

The group will first visit Ise Jingu, a huge shrine of Japan’s Shintoism.

The leaders are expected to discuss the values of the Japan G7, solidarity and the global economy.

Other subjects will be discussed at five subsequent sessions, including how to sustain global economic growth, the response to terrorism, the refugee crisis and climate change.

The leaders will aim to clearly express their solidarity on policy in their summit declaration on Friday.

CEO Poll: Modi govt meets expectations of India Inc on reforms

With the Narendra Modi government completing two years in office, an overwhelming majority of the 50 chief executive officers (CEOs) surveyed by this newspaper said the government has met their expectations on economic reforms. The average rating was seven out of 10.

In a nationwide survey conducted by this newspaper over the past three weeks, CEOs said a number of steps taken by the government – bringing down the corporate tax rate, clearing the retrospective tax mess and a new bankruptcy law – have made it easier to do business in India. They also appreciated initiatives like Digital India and the Swachh Bharat campaign. When asked about the positives of the government, CEOs cited better foreign relations, taming inflation and bringing down corruption in governance as top achievements.

ALSO READ: Narendra Modi: Governance and that Hindutva image

“I think there are perceptible signs of improvement in the ease of doing business. We have also seen some important policy changes, like the Bankruptcy Code Bill, the National Intellectual Property Rights Policy and the Startup India policy, which are reflective of this government’s intent to enable economic growth. What we need now is a bigger push in the investment policy in manufacturing to make it viable for Make in India to succeed,” said Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, chairman and managing director of Biocon.

ALSO READ: Report Card: Two years of Modi Government

Sajjan Jindal, chairman of JSW Steel, said, “During my travels abroad, I clearly see that government’s diplomacy has led to a rise in India’s stature at the global stage.”

Among the negatives, CEOs cited the inability to build consensus on the goods and services tax, inability to tackle the black money issue, and inability to handle the Opposition. Chairman of Videocon Industries, Venugopal Dhoot said the stability of the rupee and increased spending in infrastructure are indicators of good governance. “India is the only country in the world growing at 7.5 per cent according to the International Monetary Fund (IMF). This shows our economy is on the right track,” said Dhoot. Read more.

Protests turn violent outside Trump’s rally in New Mexico; clashes erupt

Donald Trump’s rally in New Mexico turned violent as anti-Trump demonstrators clashed with police, hurling rocks and burning clothes at officers, the latest scuffle to hit the presumptive Republican presidential nominee’s campaign.

The “unlawful assembly” went on rampage, lighted fires and threw rocks at the police officers and their horses outside Trump’s rally at a convention centre in New Mexico’s Albuquerque. The police resorted to launching smoke bombs to disperse the violent crowd which overturned barricades and hurled rocks.

The protesters disrupted the 69-year-old New York-based real estate tycoon’s speech several times yesterday. Most of the protesters were escorted out one by one.

“Go ahead, get them out of here,” Donald Trump told one of them.

However, the police had a tough time in controlling the demonstrators who were protesting against the policies and rhetorics of Trump.

“This is an unlawful assembly,” Albuquerque police spokesman Simon Drobik told protesters over a loudspeaker.Read more.