Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu’s decision to accept the recommendations of the Seventh Central Pay Commission may leave little space for Finance Minister Arun Jaitley to delay or stagger the implementation of the recommendations of the commission in the Union Budget on February 29. Analysts and policywatchers say the defence ministry has also announced its expected pension outlay for FY17, making Jaitley’s job to use this option to meet the fiscal deficit target of 3.5 per cent of the gross domestic product even more difficult.
- Rail Budget 2016: Prabhu gambles on growth
- Passenger amenities: Prabhu taps technology to make travel comfortable, safe
- Taking a different course: Vivek Sahai
- Rail Budget 2016: Better journey for same price promised
- One focus was to cut dependence on gross budgetary support: A K Mital & S Mookerjee